Ladymoor Gate Farm is an old farm house with a range of out buildings that, we are told were build between 1800 and 1820. The earliest reference we have found to it so far is 1806 when it was mentioned in the will of William Stonier.
The house has clearly been extended several times since it was built (including once by us in 2001) but some of the original features, for example the wooden beams, are still evident. See the ariel view of Ladymoor Gate in 1972.
We do know something about the previous occupants and a good way to follow the history of the house is by reading about the families who lived here. Like many of the people who lived in this area, the 19th century occupants of our house were farmers and in 1851 the holding was 92 acres, but by the beginning of the 20th century the opportunitues of the local mining industry were having an impact and by the end of the 19th century the holding was down to 30 acres. It is now a mere 7 acres (approx 2.8 hectares).